The theme for my ladies Bible study this term is “Called to Do a Great Work!” and Beth and Jayne are doing an amazing job of inspiring women to walk boldly as His workmanship! I don’t know about you but many times in my life I have felt the call of God to do something but I never really knew what specifically. My parents had been called to be missionaries and I was raised as an eyewitness to the great work that they did with God’s help – ministering to the hungry, the broken and the drug addicted. There is no doubt that their example fueled my desire to also do something great for God. Let’s remember that our children are eyewitnesses and imitators of what we do – Yikes!
Over the years, as I raised my children and began to write proposals and scripts for my husband’s business, I realized that God had given me a love for words and a love for penning them. About 15 years ago I started to write for some clients of my own and before I knew it, I was working in the Communications field mostly for faith-based, non-profit organizations. I loved sharing their vision and their passion for hungry feeding children around the world or getting God’s Word to every tribe and every nation.
It is God’s desire for us to live united with Him and to walk out our destiny boldly as His children. When we are willing to follow the path that He has prepared for us a great work will emerge and it will reach far beyond our lifetime – leaving a rich and lasting legacy on the earth.
In the book of Nehemiah, we see that he was called to do a great work for God. He was the King’s cupbearer and he had the King’s ear. He was positioned just where God wanted him – in a place of importance even though he was in exile. When he heard about the state of the people in his homeland of Jerusalem he prayed and he fasted and he wept over them and over the condition of that city. He was moved with compassion and He even repented on behalf of the people who had turned their backs on the God that He now prayed to.
God birthed a great work in Nehemiah’s heart and he was motivated to action. Ephesians 2:10 says, “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.”
A Great Work is…
- Birthed in our hearts
- Something we have a vision for
- Always moving us to act
- Evidenced through our passion to make it happen
In order to do a great work for God, we must believe that He has designed our uniqueness and that He has given us the ability to get in line with His belief system so that He can really use us. When we allow the vision to start inside of us and believe that we can really make the difference that He’s called us to, our lives are impacted and they will impact others in unbelievable ways.
It’s time for us to see what God sees:
- When man saw a shepherd boy named David – God saw a King
- When a dedicated young pastor and his wife saw a small schoolhouse next to a cornfield in Bloomingdale, Ontario – God saw a thriving church and a Christian school where thousands of people would adopt God’s belief system and become equipped to walk into His destiny for their lives
- When I saw only a homemaker who home-schooled her children – God saw in me potential to share His Word through writing and work as a creator of a Bible-based online world for children
- When you look at yourself and see limitations – God sees a strong vessel that He wants to use to do a great work in your family, your neighborhood and your world
Let’s catch the vision and realize that we have been created to do good works, which God prepared ahead of time just for us to walk out.